Thursday, September 10, 2015

Me

Hello. My name is Kit. I will talk mostly about my life thus far, where I am now, and anything else that defines who I am. I was born in Hong Kong in the year 2001. My name does not come from English origins, unlike some people who encounter my name may think; instead, it is a phonetic transliteration of my name in Cantonese Chinese, the language spoken in Hong Kong. It is transliterated for English speakers, as Hong Kong was influenced by the British and language was one of them; therefore, if you read the Latin letters of my full name, it will likely sound the most like the original Cantonese pronunciation in the British accent (or Hong Kong English) of English than any other accent or language using the Latin alphabet. (You may find out more about my fascination with languages later.) In 2004, my immediate family—my parents and my older brother—decided to move to Chicago because of three main reasons: we already had some of my father's relatives in Chicago, my parents wanted better economic opportunity, and the cost of living in Hong Kong was rapidly rising.
When we came to the U.S., we lived in an apartment in Bridgeport in a two-story building just across the street from an elementary school. First my brother went, joining first grade as he entered, then I went, too, starting at kindergarten level. I remember my first day there rather vividly; I didn't know what class I was in, so the teachers put me in a 30-or-so class that was dedicated solely to Cantonese speakers; later, because I knew English from daycare, they put me in a class where this wasn't the case. The next six years I spent in so-called "gifted" classes, which basically is the top twenty percent of the grade level. One year before I came to the Academic center, I had a vacation to China, and that has helped me see the world in general with a broader perspective. This helps me in the Academic Center, and the high school, where the majority of the students aren't Cantonese-speaking Chinese people.
The high school itself truly opened my eyes to the world, as there were classes in diverse subjects, and people equally so. To the high school I bring with me the memories and the knowledge that define me as I am today, and continue to add to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment